Sunday, January 1, 2012

my "resolution"








wow. well obviously i fell off the blogging wagon{like i do every fall and holiday season-sheesh!}and with the start of the new year i will once again try to get a handle on it. have you ever caught yourself comparing/desiring that you had the talents that other women have? it seems to be a major flaw with women{or maybe just me?} i am constantly comparing one of my not super talented areas to someone else's most talented area. i have been thinking about this a lot lately and compiled a list of people i compare/hold myself to their standard{which means i am constantly failing!}:


1. looks-gisele

2. crafts/creating-martha


3. photography- basically any of my friends or family who have nice cameras and dabble in photography-aka take awesome pictures with perfect light all the time

4. fun activities for the kids and family-heather


5. a home decorated part pottery barn, part anthropologie, part just plain awesome and beautiful like- cristi


6. graphic design- andrea

7. sing like-desiree

8. be green/organic like- bev


9. cook like- ree

10. bake like- bakerella


11. organized like- house of smiths


12. the list just goes on and on...gardening, emergency preparedness, health and fitness, blogging, hair styles, getting body back after baby, etc...










there are so many areas that can take our time and our interest and if we get caught up in comparing, we will always fall short. so this year my resolution is to cut myself some friggin' slack. to be happy with where i am, what shape i am, what stuff i have, and what talents i was given. i will continue to keep working on being a better me, but i am going to try my hardest to not compete and compare. and for that matter, cut all of the other women in my life some slack as well, stop holding myself and everyone else to such a high standard. we are all doing the best we can aren't we?? i know i can't be what all of the talented women pictured above are, but i can be the very best deveney suzanne jensen. {or as paisley says: mommy suzanne jensen} so that is what i am going to do. i challenge you to be the best you too, happy 2012!



6 comments:

Mindy said...

Woman, YOU are so talented. P.s. I just find myself wanting a husband and kids like everyone else. I cannot be bothered worrying about that other stuff until I get the basics. ;)

Laura Horne said...

Good one!

Anonymous said...

YOu are gorgeous and so immensely talented! I'm glad you posted this. I was just thinking about this the other day. I do the same thing and I resolve to be happy being me. :) Happy New Year Dev!

Andrea said...

funny how the same people that you compare yourself to (at least in my case) look at the talents they have and think how much they need to improve in them and how good they are not at it. haha. funny how it all works.
good post friend.

Cristi said...

Aw, I'm with Andrea! I SO know how you feel, though. I used to find myself comparing (and ALWAYS falling short!!) SO often. As in every moment of every day, basically. I read (I think it was on Pinterest of all places) that "Comparison is the thief of joy." And that really resonated with me. I had to learn to cut myself slack, too. And came to the same realization as you - that I can only do MY best in the situations I am given. I have really been working hard this past year on not judging others and not comparing myself to them. And, for the record, you are GORGEOUS and I'm SURE many women want to look just like YOU!!! (I would love to, but I stopped myself from allowing me to compare - ha ha!) And also, loved your Christmas card. And also, love that Paisley called you Mommy Suzanne Jensen. And also … the end. :)

Kendra said...

Are you sure you didn't just read my mind? Cause I have been thinking about the same thing lately (over the past month+) and how I wanted to blog about this issue. Seriously. It's terrible, and I do the same thing. ALL.THE.TIME. Hate it. Great resolution. And you are so beautiful and I am super excited for your baby on the way! :)