We woke up Valentine's Day to chicken feathers all over the yard and coop and missing 5 of our chickens. It was a sad day. Paisley and I totally cried a bit. We had been leaving the door open to the coop some nights, in fact we left it open for the whole of our Utah trip and all the chickens were just fine when we got back. But this night, a coyote was on the loose and after our chickens. Both Chris and I were shocked at how sad we felt, how responsible and bad we felt about it. I especially was shocked by my feelings because I don't really like the chickens, just the eggs, but it was a sad day. At first we thought we only had one that survived, but Paisley and I went on a hunt and found 2 others that were hiding. They were a bit beat up, and super skittish, they didn't eat much that day, but we were so happy to have 3 left instead of 1. Chris got home from work and cleaned up the feathers and buried one of the dead chickens that the coyote left. Paisley now loves to tell everyone about the coyote that took and our chickens and "smashed" the black chicken as she says it.
Moving on to happier things, Paisley had a Valentine's Day playschool party and was super excited to make and deliver valentine's to all her friends. We painted her nails pink sparkly for the special occasion. We also made a beach Valentine for our family. We sure love our friends and families!

No comments:
Post a Comment